One of my favorite ways to consume cake is by cake pops. They are adorable and delicious. They are easy to eat and mess free. They are perfect for when you have children that normally find a way to get a piece of cake everywhere other than their actual mouths such as their hair, wall and couch.
This past week, my daughter has been begging me to make cake pops. She wanted to have some for our upcoming vacation. She also decided that this time she wanted to make them herself. So, last night she made cake pops and I supervised. Now, typically, I make my cakes from scratch. But since this was being made by my daughter who is 11 and we didn’t have a ton of time, we made these utilizing boxed cake mix and frosting.
It came out delicious and my daughter had a blast! She struggled a little bit with the dipping of the cake pops, but aside from that she did a wonderful job. I love that she is slowly developing a passion for baking!
Check it out!
- 1 box white cake mix (We used Pillsbury brand)
- 1 tub Vanilla frosting (Pillsbury brand)
- Cake Pop Sticks
- Wilton Candy Melts
- Gold Sprinkles
- 1 -1 ½ tbsp Shortening (Crisco)
- Prepare the cake per the instructions on the box.
- Once, the cake has been made and cooled, take a large-sized bowl and break the cake up into crumbs.
- Add about 2 ½ tbsp of vanilla frosting to the cake crumbs.
- Mix until evenly blended using a spoon or hands.
- Next, line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Then take the cake mixture and roll into 1 ½ inch balls and place onto the baking sheet.
- Next, melt a small bowl of the Wilton melting candies.
- Dip a pop stick into the melted candy.
- Press into the center of the cake ball.
- Once you have done that to all the balls, place in the refrigerator to cool for 20 minutes.
- Once cool and the candy melt has hardened, remove from fridge.
- Melt the rest of the candies and add 1-1 ½ tablespoons of the shortening.
- Mix together well.
- Dip the cake ball into the melted candy mixture.
- Let hang upside down so the excess drips off.
- Place the stick into a Styrofoam block to dry as you are preparing the rest of the cake pops.
- When you are finished coating all the cake pops, place into the refrigerator to cool fully.
Follow me on >>instagram and tag #jclectic. I’d love to see all the JClectic recipes you make!