My kitchen table has been looking bare for quiet sometime. So to fix it, I purchased a wire fruit basket. I filled it to the brim with golden delicious apples. Part of me thought that by having all these apple in plain sight, that I could subliminally advertise the apples and people would be eating them left and right. Well, all I have to say is subliminal apple advertising doesn’t work. No one was eating them. So, I decided to make Apple crisp with them instead.
As I was making my apple crisp last night, my husband said that he wanted it really “crusty”. I was making apple crisp, so I he had me totally confused. I asked him if he wanted me to double the crisp. He didn’t want more crisp, just more crust. Yet again confused, I told him that I was making apple crisp NOT apple pie. He said he understood that, but wanted crust as well. So, after sometime of going back and forth about what dessert we were actually going to make, we decided to meet in the middle and make Apple Crisp that had both crisp and crust. Alas, Crispy, Crusty Apple Crisp was born.
It ended up being delicious and the pairing of crisp and crust was perfect. The crisp and the crust mixture sort of fused together to form one delicious top. This definitely will be something we make on a regular basis going forward.
Check it out and let me know what you think!
- ½ cup butter + ¾cup butter (melted)
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 1 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1 cup flour + 1 cup flour + 1 tbsp flour (all-purpose)
- 1 cup oats (quick cook)
- ¹⁄³ cup water
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup sugar + 1 cup sugar (granulated)
- 12 cups Golden Delicious apples (peeled, sliced, cored)
- 1 beaten egg
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In an ungreased 13×9 inch pan, place the sliced apples.
- In a small-sized bowl, combine the 1 cup white sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon and 1 tbsp flour.
- Sprinkle over apples.
- Next, take ¹⁄³ cup water and pour (evenly) over the apples.
- Next in a medium-sized bowl, combine the 1 cup flour, 1 cup brown sugar, 1 cup quick oats, ¼ tsp baking soda, ¼ tsp baking powder and ½ cup butter (melted).
- Mix well until evenly combined.
- With your fingers, break up the mixture until it forms crumbs.
- Sprinkle evenly over the apples until fully covered.
- Set aside.
- Next, in a medium-sized bowl, combine the ¾ cup butter (melted), 1 egg (beaten), ¼ tsp salt, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup flour.
- Beat on medium to high-speed until evenly combined and creamy.
- Pour the beaten mixture over the crisp layer in the pan.
- Use a rubber spatula to evenly spread the mixture.
- Place in the oven.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
- Remove and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Cut a piece and top with whipped cream (Homemade Whipped Cream).
- If you don’t like whipped cream try topping with Vanilla Ice Cream (Homemade Ice Cream) or sprinkle the baked crust with 1 tbsp powdered sugar.
- If you want to add even more oat flavor you can add an additional ¼ cup when making you “crisp”mixture.
Follow me on >>instagram<< and tag #jclectic. I love seeing all the JClectic recipes you make!