You can’t go wrong with a good vanilla cupcake. A vanilla cupcake is one of those desserts that you can enjoy as simply a vanilla cupcake, or you can utilize it as a foundation recipe for other unique creations.
This vanilla cupcake is my go to recipe. It is the foundation recipe that I use for both cupcakes and standard cakes. I find this recipe produces the most moist, flavorful and fluffy cake. I enjoy pairing this with both icing and frosting. For this post, I topped these cupcakes with my go to vanilla icing and my daughter topped it with her favorite sprinkles.
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/3 cups flour (all-purpose)
- ½ cup butter + 2 tbsp butter (softened)
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/8 tsp vanilla extract + ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup milk + 2 tbsp milk
- 1 cup sugar (granulated)
- 2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- ½ cup of sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Grab out a muffin tin and line with muffin liners.
- In a medium-sized bowl sift together the baking powder, salt and flour.
- In another medium-sized bowl, beat together the ½ cup butter and sugar (granulated) until evenly combined.
- Add in the eggs one at a time, beating each time.
- Add in the 1 1/8 tsp vanilla and mix until everything is evenly combined and the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Next, slowly add the ½ cup milk and dry ingredients.
- Mix on low-speed until everything is evenly combined. (There is no need to over mix. Over mixing will actually ruin this batter. So mix just enough until things are evenly combined).
- Next, fill each cupcake liner about ½ – ¾ of the way full.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until a tooth pick come out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool in the muffin pan for about 10 minutes.
- Transfer the cupcakes from the muffin pan to a wire rack and let cool.
- While the muffin are cooling you can make the icing.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the 2 cups confectioner’s sugar, 2 tbsp butter, ½ tsp vanilla and 2 tbsp milk.
- Beat until the ingredients are evenly combined.
- When the cupcakes are just about cool, take an icing spatula and spread the icing on top of the cupcake. (I tend to leave a sliver of cupcake top exposed. The icing will react with the heat that is still in the cupcake and melt slightly. It’s delicious!)
- Optional: Top with some sprinkles.
- Peel off the muffin liner and enjoy!
- If your icing is too “drippy” try adding a 1/2 – 1 tbsp of flour. Make sure to mix well. This should help thicken it up a bit.
- You can leave these out covered unrefrigerated, however, I personally refrigerate mine.