There are so many wonderful cooks in this world that I idolize. The cook that I truly idolize the most and the one that is a standout among the rest is my mother!
My mother, my entire life, has always been one that would be in the kitchen cooking (and baking) away. She was always trying out new recipes and experimenting with ingredients like a mad scientist. I remember when I was little, going to cookouts and watching people absolutely devour her desserts and appetizers that she would bring. Everything I know about cooking she has taught me. The most important thing she has ever taught me was that when it comes to cooking and baking, I must have patience and remember that it’s OK to mess up. Messing up was how we discovered what not to do next time. It was also the key to discovering new and exciting dishes, that you otherwise wouldn’t have known about unless you had made that mistake.
One of my all time favorite desserts that my mother makes is her “Old World Preserve Bars”. She has been making these forever and they are always a HUGE hit. When I was in second grade and our class made a recipe book, this was the recipe we included. When I was I was older, moved out and baked my first dessert, this was the dessert I made. It is classic, simple and is sure to be a hit for any occasion! I hope you love it as much as I do!
Check it out!
- 2 ¾ cup flour
- 1 ¼ cup sugar
- 1 ¼ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1 ¼ cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 jar strawberry preserves (any flavor can be used)
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Grease a 9 x 13 pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, butter, egg and nuts (optional).
- Beat on low-speed until the mixture is crumbly. (Usually 2 – 3 minutes).
- Reserve 1½ cups of the mixture and put aside
- Press the remaining mixture on the bottom of the greased pan.
- Spread the preserves to about an ½ inch from the edge of the pan.
- Crumble the 1 ½ cup of the mixture you put aside earlier, over the top of the spread preserve.
- Bake in the oven for 40 – 50 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and let cool fully.
- Cut into bars once fully cooled