Father’s Day is tomorrow and per the usual, the family will be having a cookout. I have been trying out different recipes all week, trying to figure out what I would want to bring. Well, I finally came to a decision and decided to go with a “Pineapple Upside Down Cake”.
I have never made one of these before and was not really sure what I was getting myself into, but I was pleasantly surprised at how easy this was to make and how delicious this turned out. The coloring on this cake is absolutely gorgeous as well if you are looking to make a statement.
Check it out!
- 1 box of “Super Moist” Yellow Cake Mix
- 1 cup of brown packed sugar
- 1 20oz can of pineapple slices (SAVE THE JUICE)
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup of butter
- Maraschino Cherries
- Vegetable Oil (The amount you will be determined by the type of cake mix you purchase. The amount will be specified on the box).
- Eggs (The amount of eggs needed will be specified on the cake mix box)
- Preheat you oven to 350°.
- In your 13×9 pan, melt the butter in the oven. (The reason you do this is because you need the pan slightly hot to complete the following step).
- Once the butter is melted, remove the 13×9 pan from the oven and sprinkle the brown sugar evenly over the butter.
- Open the pineapple can and remove the pineapple slices from the juice. (Do NOT throw out the juice. You will need the juice in a later step)
- Gently press the pineapple slices into the brown sugar.
- Next, take the Maraschino cherries and press them into the brown sugar mixture.
- When you have placed the pineapple slices and cherries to your liking put the pan aside.
- IMPORTANT STEP! In a medium to large bowl, prepare the cake mix. Substitute the pineapple juice for the water. You will need to take the left over pineapple juice from the can and measure 1 cups worth. If you do not have 1 cups worth of pineapple juice, you can simply add water to the juice until you achieve a full cup.
- Once the cake batter has been prepared, you will pour it in the pan, covering the pineapples and cherries. Use a spatula to spread evenly.
- Place the pan into the oven and back for 42 – 48 minutes (if using a dark or non stick pan you may need to bake for slightly longer) or until a toothpick is inserted in the center and comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and immediately run a knife or spatula along the edges to separate.
- Place a platter or large serving dish upside down on the 13×9 pan and then flip the pan over. Leave in this position for a few minutes so that the brown sugar glaze can drip down onto the top of the cake.
- Remove the pan from the cake to reveal this gorgeous cake.
- Let cool for about 30 minutes (This is really up to you)
- Slice and ENJOY!
- This cake can be served warm or cool.
- Make sure to refrigerate.