Exfoliation – The process of removing dead skin cells from the outer layers of your skin.
In my mind, since I have been a teenager, I just think of those scratch art papers when I think of exfoliation. You have to get rid of all the bland, dull stuff on top to get to the beauty underneath. As a preteen/teenager, I experienced the frustration of skin issues. Although much of it was just me growing up and going through those wonder years the sensitivity in my skin has carried on into my adulthood. So needless to say, I have to be very careful of my choices in skin projects and I have to stick to a diligent routine. Part of that routine is weekly exfoliation.
I have developed an “On/Off” exfoliation routine. Basically, I alternate each week between chemical and mechanical exfoliation. I find this helps to keep my skin in check and not irritate it. Exfoliation is a must in a skin care routine, but if you don’t do it properly you are going to pay for it. Exfoliating incorrectly or too often can do damage to your skin, cause acne breakouts and increased redness.
One product I received in my FabFitFun box recently was called “ExfoliKate” by Kate Somerville (Kate Somerville for those of you that don’t know happens to be one of the most sought after estheticians in the celebrity world. Some of her clientele consist of Demi Moore, Jessica Alba, Eva Mendes and The Duchess of Sussex aka Megan Markle). At first I was slightly apprehensive about trying this due to the fear it would make my face breakout or that I would become a red-faced tomato lady. After scouring through reviews on this product and researching the ingredients, I decided I would give it a shot.
What this product claims to do:
- Acts as a dual action exfoliation method (physical & enzymatic)
- Gives you dramatic results in one session
- Combats acne & blackheads
- Reduces discoloration
- Reduces fine lines & wrinkles
- Polishes skin for a smooth complexion
- Reduces the appearance of pores
- Improves skin texture
- Gives you the “Hollywood Glow”
The directions read as follows:
Use once or twice a week. Apply a thin, even layer to a clean, wet face, massaging in a circular motion for 30 seconds. Leave on for up to 2 minutes. Rinse and gently pat dry.
The key ingredients listed:
- Lactic Acid a natural AHA that “chemically” exfoliates skin.
- Silica a natural exfoliant that “physically” exfoliates skin.
- Papaya, Pineapple, and Pumpkin Enzymes help enhance skin exfoliation.
- Salicylic Acid helps improve the appearance of pores.
- Aloe Vera and Honey helps soothe and condition skin.
- Vitamins A, C and E provide antioxidant benefits.
- Soy-Lipid replenishes skin’s natural barrier function.
You can check out the full ingredient list here!
- Pleasant smell
- A little goes a long way
- Effective in reducing skin imperfections like acne, fine lines, wrinkles and blackheads.
- Definitely reduces pores. My nose pores were dramatically reduced after using this.
- My skin did feel very soft after I dried it
- When you first start to use this product you feel a slight tingle. I didn’t mind that, but for me after 30 seconds my face felt like it was on FIRE! I managed to make it to 57 seconds and then I had to wash it off. I guess that is the product working, but be prepared.
- Be prepared for an initial red face. I was a tomato lady for sure. (I will say that after a day my face redness did disappear and I was left with very even skin that did have a nice glow to it).
- This stuff is expensive! $75 for 1.75 FL and higher for more FL oz.
Overall, I would recommend this product. If you have extremely sensitive skin I would advise to not use this, or at least test it out with caution. I would say it does do what it claims to do. I would not say that it produces dramatic results in one use aside from the reduction in pores. This product however seems to be a product that would produce dramatic results over multiple uses. The price is a bit on the expensive side for such a small amount, but a little does go a long way. I was not a fan of the “face on fire” feeling, but it did seem to produce great results in the reduction of my pores and my face does seem more even toned producing that “Hollywood Glow”!