This past weekend I decided to make Bread Pudding. I have been having a craving for this dessert for quite some time. Well, to be honest, this craving has actually been present for about a year. You see we had gone to Edgartown down in Martha’s Vineyard and I had a fantastic bread pudding at one of the inns and this past week, I saw a picture of Bread Pudding on one of the food blogs I followed. After seeing that picture I had to have this dessert again! I had to finally calm this craving. So, I got all my ingredients and got to it!
As you will discover this is quite simple to make and is absolutely delicious.
- 3 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 3⁄4 cup raisins
- 4 cups cubed French bread
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 cups white sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (light)
- 1⁄4 cup butter (melted)
- 2 3⁄4 cups whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar (light)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon flour (all-purpose)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1⁄4 cups whipping cream
- In a large bowl combine the eggs (lightly beaten), white sugar, brown sugar and the nutmeg.
- Stir in the butter (melted).
- Stir in the whipping cream.
- After the above ingredients have been combined, add the cubed French bread.
- Add the raisins.
- Mix everything together very well. Make sure you do not destroy the cubed French bread during this process.
- Lightly grease a baking dish (The dish I used was 8×8 inch)
- Pour the entire mixture into the baking dish.
- Make sure it is even spread.
- Bake in the over for 50-55 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Towards the end of the baking period check to make sure the top of the bread pudding is not getting to dark. If need be, place some aluminum foil over the top to prevent it from over browning.
- When the Bread Pudding is done baking, let it stand for at least 10 mins. It may need to stand for even longer. Trust me this is a must!
- Put all of the ingredients listed for the sauce EXCEPT THE VANILLA EXTRACT into a medium sauce pan.
- Whisk all of these ingredients over medium heat for about 10 mins, or until the mixture thickens up to that sauce texture. (Please note: You must whisk this the entire time)
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Serve with the bread pudding!